Christina Polano will be speaking at The Annual Joint CIAA/CICMA Conference on February 6, 2018 in Toronto.
Lam v University of Western Ontario: Sarah Jones successfully brought a summary judgment motion dismissing the plaintiff’s claim due to academic discretion.
On October 13th, TGP hosted its Annual Symposium on Insurance Law. Thank you to all who attended and we look forward to next year’s symposium!
Thomas Gold Pettingill LLP participated in JLT Canada’s inaugural Public Sector Summit in Blue Mountain.
Ian Gold presented at the 2017 CASIU Fraud Conference, in Toronto, on September 19th. Ian spoke about fire investigations including preservation of evidence, retainer of experts and subrogation.
The AB Group hosted its annual Fall Seminar on October 6, 2017. Thank you to all who attended the seminar and we look forward to next year’s event!
Tim Crljenica succeeded in an AB priority dispute involving a taxi driver and whether the driver was a named insured due to the “regular use” provisions of the SABS.
Amrane v York University: Alex Pettingill was successful in dismissing an action for limitation period and academic discretion, at the Divisional Court.
State Farm v TD Home & Auto: D’Arcy McGoey succeeded in a priority dispute involving a brain injured claimant and full indemnity costs were ordered against the opposing insurer for deflection.
Situated in Toronto, Thomas Gold Pettingill LLP is one of Canada’s leading insurance law firms. Our lawyers resolve complex insurance-related disputes.
- INSURANCE DEFENCE AND SUBROGATION
- INSURANCE COVERAGE
- MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT BENEFITS
- INSURANCE-RELATED COMMERCIAL LITIGATION
INSURANCE DEFENCE AND SUBROGATION
We are known for our effective, prompt and efficient defence of liability claims.
The defence of insured liability claims requires a special set of skills. Cases must be moved forward to resolution, reporting must be prompt, and the defence must be effective yet efficient. This is why our lawyers are retained by Canadian, American, and European insurers to represent their insureds. We are also retained directly by corporations to defend self-insured claims.
We have defended thousands and thousands of claims, of a wide variety. Some of these claims include:
- Claims against colleges and universities, for injuries, educational malpractice, and professional liability
- Class action defence
- Personal injury claims
- Tavern liability
- Product liability (including automobiles, elevators, escalators, propane tanks, oil tanks, furnaces, heat recovery ventilators, household appliances, sump pumps and industrial equipment)
- Occupiers’ liability
- Professional liability (including nurses, midwives, optometrists, dentists, engineers, architects, lawyers, accountants, insurance brokers and agents, and contractors)
- Faulty construction claims Defamation
- Environmental liability
- Motor vehicle claims
We also regularly act for insurers and insureds in subrogated claims, including fire losses, flood damage, municipal liability issues and oil spills.
We are among Canada’s top insurance coverage lawyers.
Insurance coverage work requires specialized knowledge, analytical skills, persuasive writing, effective litigation, and pragmatism. Our coverage lawyers possess all of these traits, and are known across Canada as leading coverage counsel for policyholders and insurers.
Our services include:
- Providing coverage opinions and claims advice
- Negotiating, mediating, arbitrating, and litigating coverage disputes
- Drafting and revising insurance policy wording
- Handling bad faith claims
We have experience in many types of insurance coverage, including:
- Commercial General Liability
- Directors’ and Officers’ Liability
- Fiduciary Liability
- Employment Practices Liability
- Professional Liability
- Environmental Liability
- Umbrella and Excess Liability
- Homeowners’ Liability
- Commercial Property and Business Interruption
- Automobile Insurance
MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT BENEFITS
We provide clear, concise and practical advice to insurers in accident benefit cases.
Accident benefit claims require organization, attention to detail, and up-to-date knowledge of an ever-changing regulatory regime. Equally important is the ability to provide effective representation that is proportional to the value of the claim. These reasons are why our accident benefits department is one of the largest in the province.
The services we provide include:
- Opinions on entitlement and quantum
- Examinations under oath
- Litigation, mediation, and arbitration of claims
- Priority disputes
- Loss transfer disputes
INSURANCE-RELATED COMMERCIAL LITIGATION
Our knowledge of the insurance industry and law makes us ideal for litigating commercial disputes that involve an insurance component.
We represent and advise insurers, brokers, and managing general agents on a wide variety of commercial litigation issues, including non-competition and non-solicitation covenants, fraud recovery claims, and employment contracts. We have been retained by a number of major North American insurers to pursue medical clinics for fraudulent insurance claims.