Charles Dobson416.507.1827 firstname.lastname@example.org Download V-Card
Charles is a partner of Thomas Gold Pettingill LLP.
Areas of practice & Experience
Charles has practiced insurance and commercial litigation with Thomas Gold Pettingill since 2013. Prior to joining TGP, Charles practiced commercial litigation at one of Canada’s leading national Bay Street firms.
Charles values his client relationships and works diligently to ensure that his clients’ interests are protected. He has diverse litigation experience, including class actions, and has appeared before the Ontario Superior Court, the Ontario Divisional Court, and the Ontario Court of Appeal. He has also represented clients in arbitrations and before tribunals such as the Workplace Safety and Appeals Tribunal.
Charles’ defence practice focuses on professional liability, general liability, product liability, and first party insurance claims (including coverage and bad faith litigation). His plaintiff practice focuses on subrogation, breach of contract, general liability (property losses), environmental contamination, and travel insurance.
A selection of Charles’ recent defence work includes:
- Defence of professional negligence claims against engineers, landscape architects, and various construction trades.
- Defending first party claims for property losses and business interruption, in addition to bad faith claims.
- Defending various liability claims against post-secondary institutions.
- Defending a wide-range of product liability claims.
- Defending personal injury claims relating to medical malpractice, motor vehicle accidents (including heavy commercial vehicles), and slip and falls.
- Defending claims on contingent cargo policies.
A selection of Charles’ recent plaintiff work includes:
- Representing insurers in subrogated claims relating to professional liability, oil contamination, and fire and water losses.
- Representing companies and other organizations in claims relating to property losses and environmental contamination.
- Representing a company in a broker’s negligence claim.
- Representing “snowbirds” in coverage claims on travel insurance policies.
Education & Associations
- Called to the Bar of Ontario, 2009
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2008
- B.A. (First Class Honours), University of Calgary, 2003