Christopher Schnarr416.507.1803 email@example.com Download V-Card
Chris is a founding partner of Thomas Gold Pettingill LLP.
Areas of practice & Experience
Chris is a tenacious and practical litigator with expertise focused on insurance law, acting for both insurers and policyholders. Chris has developed a recognized expertise in the area of first party insurance claims and in particular Statutory Accident Benefits. Another focus of Chris’ practice is product liability. Experienced in trials and arbitrations, Chris enjoys working on large, complicated files that usually involve serious personal injury. He has a specific interest in assessing and litigating large damage claims whether on behalf of insurers, commercial clients or individuals.
Chris has established a reputation with his clients for being a leading expert in his field. He brings value to his clients by effectively resolving disputes when possible and litigating disputes when necessary. Chris has a specific expertise in claims involving: (a) the definition of “accident”; (b) out of province insurers; (c) chronic pain; (d) brain injuries; and (e) allegations of bad faith.
- Mame v. State Farm – Successfully acted for the insurer in a two week jury trial regarding a claim for accident benefits.
- Economical Mutual v. Intact Insurance Company, August 12, 2015 Priority Dispute – Acted for an insurer that was successful in rescinding acceptance of a no-fault claim due to material misrepresentations of transferring insurer.
- Van Galder v. Economical Mutual, 2015 ONSC 3261 – Acted for an insurer in respect of a claim for interest on attendant care and housekeeping SABS benefits.
- Haddad v. Economical Mutual, July 5, 2012 (FSCO A10-003390) – Successfully defended a claim for catastrophic level SABS benefits on basis of physical and behavioural emotional impairments.
- M.L. v. Economical Mutual, October 20, 2011 (FSCO A09-001059) – Successfully defended a claim for castastrophic level SABS benefits and claims for Non-Earner benefits.
- Wadhwani v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company, October 3, 2011 ONSC – Successfully defended a claim for bad faith and income replacement benefits before a jury.
Education & Associations
- Called to the Bar in Ontario, 1994
- LL.B., University of Toronto, 1992
- B.A., Carlton University, 1988
- Canadian Defence Lawyers Association